Tuesday, July 29, 2014

This is the Pacific Ocean!  La Jolla Shores to be exact.  Grant was insistent on going to the beach at least once while we were in San Diego, so we checked into our hotel in downtown and then headed to the mass of humanity that had congregated in La Jolla.  It was insane. The kids all boogie boarded and I hung out on the shore with my toes in the water and sand...it was wonderful.

 And THIS is the reason for the visit to San Diego...Comic Con International...The kids have been looking forward to this for an entire year.  Frankly, Bill and I don't understand the desire to be surrounded by a bunch of odd folks, many who are dressed up in a wide variety of costumes and some who don't apparently bathe for the entire 4 day convention.  It's the coming together of actors, creators, writers, etc. in the entertainment industry.  This year marked the 44th annual event.  The crowd was estimated between 130,000-200,000! It was a crazy spectacle.
 Our hotel was in the perfect location.  We stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp, one block from the convention center. Absolutely prime.  We could see Petco Park, the Coronado Bay Bridge, San Diego Harbor and the San Diego Convention Center from our room.  We felt completely spoiled! It was awesome.
 While the kids were doing their "geek thing", I walked and enjoyed being in the heart of America's Finest City.  I walked to Seaport Village...one of my favorite places, every morning.  This was a typical view while I walked.
 Occasionally the kids would send me a picture text...this was them waiting in line...they waited in lots of lines...
 Sitting in a "panel"... this is what they do too.  They were excited to see many of their favorite actors and personalities from movies, tv, the internet, etc.
 I took advantage of being in the same city as one of my favorite temples.  This holy place holds special significance to me.  We were living in LA when it was built and dedicated.  We attended the open house and then I attended the dedication with my mom,  We were blessed to be in the celestial room with President Hinckley.  It was a choice experience.  As I sat in the celestial room, I reflected on that special day. Sacred memories.

 I changed into my swim suit in the car in the temple parking lot...(thank goodness for a big back seat and darkly tinted windows:)...and headed to the bay for some Southern California sunshine.  It was heavenly.
 It was great meeting up for dinner with some of my San Diego family. Uncle Terry and Armida, Jim, Christin and her daughter Marissa met me for some yummy dinner and great conversation.  They live in a beautiful part of the world. 
 I took the opportunity to visit one of my old "haunts"...Yogurt Mill in El Cajon!  It was just as good as I remembered.  Funny thing, I ran into an old girl friend from high school who was visiting from Washington.  It was wonderful catching up after 33 years!!!
 And this is the church I attended when I was a child and youth...Obviously the building has been updated and the huge tree that used to stand on the corner, has long since been removed.  I have some pretty fond memories of this place.  My Grandma and Grandpa Shippen attended this building until they both passed away.  Both of their funerals were held in this building.
 And this is the house I grew up in ... 668 Trenton Street.  Oddly enough, it still looks the same.  My mom sold it in 2003 when she moved to Texas to live across the street from us.  It hasn't changed a bit since she sold it...although the palm tree and the crepe myrtle look taller.

No comments:

Post a Comment